Friday, March 24, 2006


Bird flu jokes...

According to official news , we are still free of bird flu in Libya even though neighbouring Egypt has discovered some cases - that in itself is a joke. Whatever .

<==== Look at how our dear Egyptian neighbours are coping with this, they always have a great sense of humour even or rather especially in the face of adversity



A bear, a lion and a chicken meet.The bear says: "if I roar in the forest, the entire forest is shivering withfear."The lion says: "if I roar in the jungle, the entire jungle is afraid of me."Then says the chicken...."Big deal. I only have to sneeze and the entireplanet shits itself."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should not joke about these things

Highlander said...

You are right Adam , however joking is a way that our populations have used for decades to help them survive the harsh realities. Egyptians are famous for some of the best jokes !

Hannu said...

A little story about the "Bird Curse." My family, Dad's side, believe that birds bring bad luck to whoever owns them in the family. It goes a long way back, when my father's uncle had hens and his house was burnt down. Another had hens, years later, and his son died. My family took in the neighbor's birds while our neighbors were out of town and I fell really sick (I was about 2!) My mother took the bird out of the house and put them on the roof; I got better, I was told! My cousin came from Uganda to Benghazi with that beautiful parrot. A caravan of cars headed to Derna with my cousin, parrot, and all. The car that had the bird started fuming... The elders in the family demanded the bird be released at once and so it was! There are many other ancient stories of the bird curse in my family but can't remember them all...

Back on track... My mother doesn't want any birds around our house (in Benghazi,) so my parents sprinkle bird poison on the roof so no birds would nest there. The other day, they found a dead pigeon, and guess what. Gloves and masks came out... "The bird flu is here," declared Dad. After consulting with the neighborhood "experts" and “dignitaries,” they opted to bury the bird instead of burning it, and to sanitize the whole roof. Now, everybody in the neighborhood is on alert for dead birds.

Highlander said...

Hanu that's so scary about the bird curse in your family but thank you for sharing with us .

Hannu said...

HL, the story was meant to entertain you not scare you :-) I don't believe in this stuff anyway. I found it funny that no one thought the bird died of eating the poison!